Friday, May 1, 2933

Background On My Association With Pacific Trailways

Chapter 6

At summer's end 1975, it was time for me to leave and return to Bend. My Dad had a neighbor (Albert) who was passing through from Portland, he gave me a ride back to Central Oregon. Unfortunately in Redmond, a car hit us, I have no recall if we drove on into Bend or were towed. Either way it was a climatic end to a great summer.

I soon settled in to my old job as Head Baggage Boy at Pacific Trailways, and returned to Bend Senior High. This new chapter may very well have been replaced by a different one though if circumstances on the mountain had taken a different turn. Before I left, the owners of the Huckleberry Inn offered to take me in, or at least were open to it. I did not solicit this, it was their desire. My stepmother happened to be passing through, and I remember she went up to their suite to discuss it with them. I was filled with trepidation, as I felt perhaps, I could possibly have a real home at last with normal loving people. However, for whatever reason, she said no, and the opportunity passed away. To this day, it breaks my heart, as I loved the couple who owned the restaurant and wanted to be a part of their family.

No comments:

Post a Comment