Monday, May 1, 2941

Huckleberry Inn Memories

In an effort to protect the identity of people I knew that summer of 1975, I have omitted names with images. I can say, I do know who these people were, I have no idea what happened to them.

Whenever an east or west bound Pacific Trailways (or tour) bus came in, it could be very busy. When I wasn't working I spent my time in Portland, or riding my bike around the area. One such occasion was a camping trip to Trillium lake for one night with a waitress I worked with (strictly platonic). We also got someone to drive us up to Timberline lodge where we and our bikes were off-loaded for a coast down the mountain. I remember going around a curve too fast and almost flying over the side. 

I have to mention a gal named Edna who was the restaurant manager. Her husband did all the baking. One weekend I filled in for him, it was so much fun to make the yeast dough and cut out the shapes. The tricky part for me was the proportions. The maple bars were huge, so much so, that we called them 'Bigfoot' bars. Edna seemed gruff when you first met her but was pleasant when you got to know her. One time she gave me a ride down to see my friend Irene who had a hair salon in Brightwood, 'down the mountain', as everyone would say. Edna had a big 'ole blue 1969 Cadillac and I still remember how floaty the ride was (air suspension). My friend Irene always did her hair, which was piled high in a late 60's style.

The owners were wonderful to work for and I have fond memories of that friendship. There was an easy harmony between them and all of us which made working at the Huckleberry Inn a great summer for all. I have so many memories, too many to mention here, I look back with the bittersweet feeling of youth and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment