Wednesday, April 30, 2960

Background On My Association With Pacific Trailways

Chapter 4

Working for Trailways was a grounding experience for me, this due to Frank (my boss) and the people who surrounded me there. I was promoted to Head Baggage Boy which made me responsible for three other baggage boys. One was Earl who was in some of my classes (his brother Jay was a ticket agent). I worked the evening buses, and every so often stayed on after the last bus to wax the floors of the depot (I was responsible for cleaning the depot and emptying the trash in the upstairs offices) etc. On those cold snowy nights, after everyone left, I would work until 4 A.M. waxing and cleaning the depot (I would lock the door after I left). Many times the buses were late, and I would be delayed. One night, rather than go all the way out to where I lived, I slept in one of the stored buses in the rear of the shop next to the Purple Bus (this so I could get to school early the next morning). My friend (the shop serviceman) came in to open early and was alarmed when he found me. "Did you stay here?" he said as I tried to explain, "you can never do that." He wasn't upset with me, just concerned that I might get in trouble. That is the last time I tried that.

No comments:

Post a Comment